If you are charged with a crime, one of the most important decisions you will have to make is choosing the right criminal defense attorney for your case. Your attorney will ask questions to understand the situation fully, including the charges against you, any evidence and witnesses, your side of the story, your background, and more. The lawyer is looking to assess the case and start forming a defense strategy. Los Angeles Criminal Attorney will also explain your rights, the court process, and potential outcomes. It is your chance to get a feel for the attorney’s communication style, knowledge, and commitment to your defense. Don’t hesitate to ask the lawyer questions too so you select someone you feel comfortable with.
Investigating the charges
After you’ve been arrested and charged with a crime, the investigative process continues as your criminal defense attorney thoroughly examines the prosecution’s evidence and gathers information for your defense. A prosecution’s charges against you may seem intimidating but don’t panic. Your lawyer will take steps to investigate the allegations and build the strongest case possible on your behalf. Here are some of the investigative tactics a defense lawyer may use:
- Review police reports and evidence – Your attorney will scrutinize all documentation stemming from the investigation, witness statements, forensic test results, surveillance footage, and more. He or she is looking for inconsistencies, procedural errors, improperly handled evidence, unreliable witness accounts, and challenges to the prosecution’s version of events.
- Interview prosecution witnesses – Witnesses who are testifying against you may be questioned by your lawyer to poke holes in their accounts, uncover bias, or bring to light influences by investigators. Skilled interviewing could reveal contradictions or doubts in their statements.
- Consult experts – Your attorney may collaborate with specialists like private investigators, forensic scientists, psychologists, and other professionals to provide analysis or expert testimony supporting your defense. An investigator tracks down additional witnesses or evidence.
- Visit the crime scene – Winnipeg defence attorney may travel to the location of the alleged crime to take photos and video, measure distances and sight lines, and look for aspects that undermine the charges. For example, visibility issues at the scene could discredit an eyewitness’s testimony against you.
- Subpoena records – Your attorney requests mobile phone records, medical files, employment documentation, accounts from therapists you’ve seen, and more records that may contain exculpatory evidence. This builds a clearer picture in your favor.
- Research similar cases – Learning the outcome of comparable cases and the arguments used by defense attorneys helps in crafting a winning strategy for your case. Your lawyer analyzes past trial transcripts, appeals outcomes, and more.
While you have a presumption of innocence on your side as the accused, the reality is the prosecution has already been building a case against you. Your criminal defense lawyer levels the playing field through tireless investigation and preparation. The more doubts that are raised about the charges and evidence, the weaker the prosecution’s position becomes. An experienced defense attorney will know how to conduct a thorough investigation that could lead to charges being dismissed or acquittal.